Am I Good or Bad?

After a two week gap, I am back to write my thoughts on ‘Am I Good or Bad?’ First let me ask a quick question – How many of us cheer for others’ success? And I guess many answer ‘I do…’ Are we surely cheering others’ success? Or are we appearing to be generous and cheer others’ success? We here a lot of good news like ‘Hey I got a promotion…. I am leaving to US… I got a car as gift… I got 100% hike…. I got admission in Stanford University for M.S… I completed Ph.D… I got.’ Hearing many good things about our friends, relatives, colleagues and many others around us, we congratulate them and appear to be generous and cheer others’ success. But in reality, as the Author Stephen R. Covey writes in Foreword section of his book “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”, many of us inwardly, privately are eating our hearts out when others achieve. Though Stephen R. Covey writes a lot more on this dealing with various psychological behaviors of humans linked with the historical changes, I would not be getting into that and make this one another Review for his book.

How many of us are truthful to accept that we never cheer others’ success though we have done many? I don’t want a quick answer with responses like ‘A Few’! Think and tell to your heart are we truthful to what we act? If you feel I am wrong and am generalizing my thoughts on all, make a quick answer to the following questions:
 Did you congratulate your friend on getting promoted with quotes like –‘Lucky you got it…? We didn’t deserve… Good your boss recognized you…’
 Did you heart fully give send of to your cousin who prepared along with you for Post Graduate in foreign and got succeeded when you are not with out any guilt?
 Did you accept with out any vengeance if your subordinates get promoted when you are not?
 Did you like when your peer, who possess and does no more than you have and you do, gets better recognition than you should?
 Did you ever not accept peers solution, when you have yours almost in place and likely to be congratulated, when yours peers actually could be the perfect for the problem?

How many of these small questions did you answer ‘Yes’? Many of us would have more than one ‘Yes’.

We take life as a challenge and play the game of life taking it as a challenge we see. In due course of play, we see school mates, work colleagues and even family members as our competitors in our game of life. And like any other game, the more our competitors win, the less we have. The less we have, the more you play against competitors and we act generous as the competitors are our school mates, work colleagues and family members. We know they are all, we have but they are our competitors and there goes the true spirit, which cheers others’ success, down.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Man...a gud thought brought out.....but i shud tell u that neither stephen covey nor I can tell ur thoughts and in that case no one except u......and sometimes u to urself is hard to believe....u wud have thought sometime.. how did I do that...Im not a that kind of person...this happens to every one...I think its the influence of our surroundings that brings into our minds such thoughts....

U heard Stephen Covey say something....now hear mine..I feel....ahhhh...i tell u.. its hard to write something true about themselves...but it doesnt matter to me right now to write what I think about myself....

Im jealous sometimes at others ...jealous in the sense...doesnt foul up or cry over other's success...bcos I believe I too can do that...I try to find out whether i cud do it or not...if the answer which echoes back is not the expected i try to soothe myself.....but thousands of thoughts flow my heart and mind...couldnt explain it...but soon i bcome normal....after sometime i suddenly feel nothing...empty hollow in the world...etc..etc...

i feel im getting over the topic...think this comment wud bring u joy for having the first comment to be posted for the article..i doesnt feel jealous now for u have created a blog but not me...
Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for your comments. I feel really happy seeing u take your time to write comments on this article.

I agree with your thought that our surroundings provokes us to feel or wonder about our selves and even doubt if we are the same as we are few years, months, weeks or days ago.

I am trying to understand what I am and as you said neither stephen covey nor you can understand my feelings or thoughts. Some times, even I can hardly know what I would feel like in situations I knew or not yet known. In due search of these I am thinking and am keeping out my thoughts.

Thanks for the comments. Hope you continue reading my articles.

Thanks
Leela

Popular Posts