...are you still, Single?

Have any of you ever heard this statement from your friends? I guess most single men and women do get to hear this, once in a while from friends, relatives, near and dear ones. Quite some good time back, when I was having lunch with a couple of friends, 9 members to be exact, of which two are in love with members from the same group, one has a boy friend, three did have a relationship in the past (but I assume they are then single) and leaving me alone, a member, who neither had a relationship so far nor was looking for one). Somehow, chit-chat that started chasing around every good looking guy (from the gals in our team) and good looking gals (for the boys off course!!), it reached a point to discuss about one's Girl / Boy Friends and past relationships and over no time, bottle is spin in my direction and am asked if I am single? With due no guilt I answered, no in a plain and calm voice. I am surprised to see all of them shocked! One in fact, was unable to accept the fact, that a man nearing a 25 could be single. What am I supposed to tell them? Laugh? Flirt? Throw a harsh word? Ignore? I choose to reply with just a smile…

That was the first time I ever had such an experience and that's not the lost. After a couple of more, I am kind of used to the expressions I get when I tell them 'I am Single'. Though all the times, I happened to reply them with a smile, I couldn't help thinking 'What's wrong, if one is single?' Just because they have got a partner, should everyone else be having a relationship?

Every one of us has a life, and accordingly we set our priorities, goals and choose to act upon them at our convenience. And to most Indian middle class members, who are grown up in orthodox societies and families, the thought of having a GF/BF is more than a dreading dream (worried what he/she would be considered back in their community, society and relatives. Yes, the situation is on a change, still the fear is prevalent). And interestingly some go ahead on to suggest probable boys/girls who are free, that we can get into have a relation and some even set blind dates (yes yes dear and near friends, I understand you all love me and I mean no offense).

Well, I just like to say, a few like to not be the way you choose. Yes, off course, we would be delighted to have a friend/partner we like to have around and like to hang around them. But, should this not be up to me, to have all this at a time I am comfortable?
Should I be not going around my chosen priorities?

Next time, I get to such an expression, I will for a change will direct them to this post than reply with a smile…

Comments

Wow, lovely template. What a drastic change it is when compared to that black high-contrast colored one. Phew! Even the topic has also changed to Dating,Love and Relationship.

But, I am disappointed with the content and its mood. I expected a justified analysis of a matured mind instead of mere grumbling.

Finally, nearing 25 - are you kidding? This is Sep, 2008. When did the narrated incident happen?
(Contd. from previous comment)
At least, contradicts the Age on your profile.
@jb

Thanks for your comments Jyothi. The incident didn't happen now. It is long back, when I was actually nearing 25 (2006, I tried to keep the narration in past tense to make this obvious, your grammatical correction can help me! ;-) ).

Why do you consider the post to be mere grumbling? Should every post have a matured analysis and justification to the subject? I am no expert in this subject. I am sharing a few moments from my past!! Yeah! Yeah! I knew this is a history now yet still made a posting in my blog...
Columbus Dating said…
If I am with someone and I have full faith that he can be the husband and father that I am looking for AND if I believe I can embrace and respect the religion, then yes, converting is an option. If he can accept me if I simply embrace and accept his religion, even better.
That's a pretty nice post, i was reading something related on another web page not too long ago that essentially said the same thing although yours is better,
plus its good to have some validation on seeing two sources agree.
the article is superb and the quality of work is excellent ,we always designated ourselves for this kind of stuff and we are also looking forward to see more from you.......

thank you! ........

Popular Posts