Is 'Money' only the big decision maker?

Warning: Conversations in this are truth and happened in my presence or with me involved. I meant no offense using them here.

It’s been a long time I updated my blog, partially because of my over commitment for two projects. I have been hearing to a couple of conservations in the office, at room, while traveling and during many other times, conversations that are talking about money, money and money; Conversations that is very common with the most IT, BPO and MNC employers.

What is that we want? Is it just money? People keep talking about making money, more money, and much more money? You might say that I am wrong, and have been looking the world from the side of money as what people are looking for? May be! But before you conclude you should listen to this conversation I overheard while coming from my home place to Hyderabad (as I work there). This happened few weeks back,

Conversation went on between two elderly people - one a retired railway government employee, a senior citizen (might be in mid 60’s), a hard worked, self developed both personally and economically; another mid 30’s or mid 40’s, a private middle-income business man. This is no public conversation; it’s just a chit-chat that even you could have started on a medium to long journey in a general or a reserved compartment and is quiet common in socially open environments like India. The conversation got kick started by thathagaru (respectful way of calling elderly people of that order, though no relationship exists between me and him. This mode of addressing is common in the society I grew up and means Grand Father in telugu, my mother tongue) introducing him selves to his co-passenger and zoom, I saw the conversation went from current political situations in India to current generation standards and convections of life. I didn’t give an ear to all, though their words kept interrupting my ears. I understood that thathagaru has taken a lot of pain in growing up to what he is today. But I got largely disturbed by a small part of their conversation. Yes, you can guess it right! That dealt with Money. I wondered what’s special in the conversation, which disturbed me in accepting his words. (Though I am not the direct person to whom these are addressed, the respect he gained through his words made me think about and was not able to accept his words). Here is the part of their conversation that disturbed me (I had translated their conversation to English, for better clarity in this post)


Thathagaru: …Lord Krishna in bhagavat geetha said activities done in this janma, give fruits in this janma and the next janma. But the GOD himself is not equal to all.

Business man: I believe in geetha. But, why are you saying that GOD himself is not equal to all?

Thathagaru: If he is equal why would such injustice happen to people of same nature?

Business man: …?

Thathagaru: take this example, two bank employees both of same position who have serviced same amount of time, and got same experience. Both after retirement buy some land with their last incomes, both buy lands in remote places. One buys near prathipadu and other buys near sthambalagaruvu. Today the one who bought land near sthambalagaruvu is crorepathi, as his land worths over 50 crores, whereas the other is not even a lakhpathi. What karma has the first person did, what was not done by the other? Today, the first who has lived the same life as other is worth a huge respect (obviously because of his crores worth land he owned) and other doesn’t…


I sensed a mistake in his words, and am not sure what it is. I pondered over it and left thinking about it. And infact forgot this as I got involved in my work. Few days latter I have been to my sister’s place and am having a chat with her and when her friend said similar statement, which made me reminded me of the earlier conversation. And here is what it went on at my sister’s place...

It’s a black day to many in the world. It’s a day that a worst possible damage done to a unitary of immense power by the terrorist communities. It’s 11th September, known as 9/11 a black day in the history of America and the world. To us it’s my sister’s birthday, and so has been to her place to wish her. There on that day my mom, my sister, her friend and me gathered and as we were talking sister’s friend went on…


Friend: …Aunty, today it doesn’t matter what the person is or what his qualifications are, it only matters how much he earns.

Mom: Money is important, but it’s not the only thing that is most important and to be considered

Akka: if he is making lots of money, he would live the way he dreams and can do well as per his nature.

Me: (after a silence of few minutes, told them the above conversation and then…) its not money, that’s important or not. It’s not about what others are; it’s about what we are. If we look at money, then he might be an unmistakable person, but what if we don’t look at money? Money alone cannot be a judging condition, there are many more and money is just one of them…


And the other day as I am walking on the foot path with my friend, near Ameerpet discussing how the life is at work, how the colleagues at work are, he told me about a discussion he had with his brother who is in dilemma, for taking a decision on changing his job for the sake of earning more. And as went talking more, more started coming out.


Friend: …Yesterday, I had a huge discussion with my brother. You know, he is a government employee. He will take a lots time for him to make his salary to few tens of thousands, and can even take a life long. He got a couple of chances of making big bucks, if he shifts his job to a private limited. He asked me for a suggestion.

Me: Interesting, I have been thinking on matters of money these days too, not in the other sense, but in a similar way. I want to know what answer you gave.

Friend: I haven’t given him answer, in fact I asked him a question. I told him, I earn over a quarter lakh a month. I am happy about it. This alone doesn’t give me satisfaction. At the end of the day, if I can feel satisfied about the work I have done that day, I am satisfied with the work in all respects. I don’t have that satisfaction at the end of the day. What about you?

Me: you are correct, and that’s in my view. I have no idea about what it is in others view. And what is the answer your brother gave.

Friend: He said at the end of the day, he feels fully satisfied. My Uncle who has shifted jobs in the way people shift jobs these days ten years back, says though he has shifted jobs every few years and is earning few thousands less than a half lakh, he says it’s of not that use…


On a close observation of the above three conversations, a feel that today man is moving more towards money and money gets a step higher in role while playing a role in decision making.

What is that people looks for? Is ‘Money’ so important today, that you prefer to forfeit all other things? You can say, that I have been looking at only one side of the coin, and neglected the other side. May be I did, I did so because not I forgot; for I see the other side rare and many soon end up believe in the world of Money. Is that what people really want? Just money, and do we believe money will get us things we last for? Money can get things but what about the peace at heart? Can it?

Comments

This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicely written.

I don't believe in Luck, but I believe in coincidence and my view of the first scenario (land owners) is - "To be at the right place at the right time". One more corollary: "Not to be at the wrong place at the right time" - I ride a bike in Hyderabad where on average 30 accidents happen a day and not all 30 times it is the rider's fault.

Since the money is the topic here, I would like to share a question I got as an SMS, the answer would probably give more insight into this thought -
Choose the happiest man - Gates has more money, Bush is more powerful, Speilburg made great films, Stephen Hawking has a Nobel, Armstrong visited the moon. Trivial? That is life! Enjoy!
Bhagavad Gita did not deal with money. It wanted to upgrade Krishna from a small time ruler to the Supreme Spirit. Sorry for pointing this.

Dhana muulam idam jagam (This world is rooted in money) Dhanamaarjaya kaakutsa (Oh Rama! Earn money somehow!) these are from Ramayana. Rama was taught to make money.

Arjuna has one of ten names: Dhanamjaya. He conquered neighborhood cities, robbed them, and accumulated at a place, stood in the midst of himself, called himself Dhanamjaya, called others to call him Dhanamjaya.

I agree with Jyoti Basu's remark: Be in the right place at right time.
www.bhagavadgitayb.blogspot.com
www.bhartruhariyb.blogspot.com
Thanks all for your valuable comments. I request, is it possible to see the world from third person, and give judgements.

Jyothi what you said is fact that no one would say no. My views are with respect to a third person's thought on subjects...

"dhanam muulam idam jagam" tho hai purana vakya, ab jo mein dekh raha ho - vo hai tho alag tha...

Popular Posts